Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Black above all?

This began as a tangent that I posted as a response to a friend of mine's facebook note, but I felt it would serve as a compelling first blog entry...

The subject is on social segregation, specifically, the self segregation of blacks in America. It is something that I have noticed for quite a while now, and it's not very comforting to see.

I have always found many in the African American community partaking in the same race based behaviors that they claim to hate so much. Not only this, but both acknowledging that fact and justifying it by claiming that "white people" did it to them first (as if every individual human-being lacking an abundance of melanin in their skin were included in this statement). Granted, this is by no means every African American, probably not even the majority, but enough, in my opinion, to worry me.

I often see what is revered to as the "BTay" at my school (a shorthand for Black Table), where an all black crew has gathered to eat together, divided from the other students. Now, don't get me wrong, I am by no means attacking "BTay" in and of itself. I see nothing wrong with a group of friends sitting together and eating. If all of those friends happen to be black, then who cares. (It is often the case that a group of friends will be made up of only Caucasians out of pure coincidence) It is however when a table such as this becomes exclusive that there is an issue. Once a person chooses to only associate with those of their race by virtue of race alone, something is wrong.

I view self-segregation as nothing but a road block on the route to equality. If we are always considered the "other" and reinforce that belief by willingly separating ourselves (whether it be out of spite, of fear, or duty) then we will never be truly equal (since "separate but equal" has already been recognized as a myth).


Another thing that bothers me: I have often found that when in a group of only African Americans (at least this has been my experience at school) the conversation often falls upon how they are discriminated against or why they feel alienated or any number of other complaints about the social order. I have heard some refer to these sessions as "therapeutic" but as a firm believer in the power of ones words to reinforce one's view of the world, I wonder just how helpful these rants actually are. And while yes, I am not naive, I realize that there is still racism in the world, I often get the feeling that frequently it is not so much the actual racism that holds people back, but the perception that there is racism present (even if there may not actually be any). This fear of the oppressed then serves to oppress them even further.


All in all, there are those in the black community too preoccupied with race. I have never felt so stigmatized by my dark skin, wide features, and ultra curly hair, than being around other people who lament constantly about discrimination and about their lot in life and so forth. In general, I feel that there is too much focus on black equality and nowhere near enough on equality of people in general.

What is important to keep in mind is that race is very much an illusion. It is more so a social construct than it is an actual divide. A persons skin tone, hair texture, and nose width is just as superficial as a person's height, hand size, ear type, tongue shape, and so on. That being said, the only way to change the social order and any injustice that results from it, is not to play to its beliefs. This includes forming ranks with your race in order to make sure that your race is treated equally because this only supports the idea of race in general and that blacks are somehow different than whites beyond superficial physical characteristics. It is only when all people can stand together (and sit together, and eat together, etc.) that true equality can be gained. Only when we get rid of this idea of "us" and "them" and realize that they are us, and we are them.

Yes, I know I'm sounding rather preachy at the moment, but these are points that I feel are very important to drive home. You are encouraged to comment below, I would love to hear people's opinions on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment